Tuesday, February 23, 2010

KNK March Kit reveal #1

Have I mentioned how much I love the paper in this kit? I have? Well, in case you missed it before I really REALLY love these new papers from Shabby Green Door (In fact I think I have a new favorite manufacturer). I've barely begun working with these papers and I already can't wait to see what SGD will release next!
These photos of my daughter have always spoken to me. Sometimes you catch a glimpse of what's to come in your baby's eyes... someone else might not see it, but being her Momma these pics speak volumes to me! I've been saving them for the right paper, and this paper is definitely it! I used elements from three different papers and just a little bit of pale blue cardstock.
For each flower, I traced a Petaloo "Color Me" flower onto the sheet music vellum and set the vellum aside. Then I added some pink acrylic paint to the center of each Petaloo flower, and "pulled" the paint with a small brush toward the end of each petal as I didn't want to cover the flower completely but just add a little color. Then I took a white pearl medium and painted that over each petal to soften the pink a bit. Once the flowers were dry, I cut the traced flowers from the vellum and layered them over the painted flowers. For a little added interest I used a tiny white Prima flower and a brad for a center. A little Frosted Lace Distress Stickles tipped all of the petals, and they are really pretty close-up!
The pearls were initially pink, and that would have been fine if the primary color in the layout had been pink. However, the pink pearls looked too shocking against that pale blue, so I took the pearl medium I used on the flowers and painted the pearls with it. As you might imagine, this is easier said than done LOL.... I ended up having to clip them to the pull chain on my ceiling fan just to get enough leverage to make them hold still for the paint brush! It was worth it though, the pearls ended up a gorgeous color with just the slightest hint of pink -- exactly what I had hoped! Once dry, I shaped them into a flourish around the flowers and held them in place with a few simple stitches.
The chipboard Barndoors are so incredibly versatile, I only did the basics with one and covered it with paper, sanded and inked. There are so many possiblities for altering these!!
I threw this card together very quickly with some scraps I had left over from creating the layout. I used the paper as-is.... just used the music background stamp on the notepaper to make it look like sheet music and I love that stamp! I am not ordinarily a stamp-user for the most part but I see myself using this one over and over on vintage layouts.

After stamping, I just added the sentiment "Just A Note To Say..." and a couple of flowers. I already know who I am sending this to :)
I've already got some things in progress for my next reveal, so stay tuned if you are interested! And thanks for stopping by!

1 comment: